Utah Provo Mission

Utah Provo Mission
Welcome to Elder Winter's Blog

Favorite Scripture

Alma 29:9,10
I know that which the Lord hath cammanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I am Staying in the Provo Mission

This has been an exciting week for Elder Winters. As was mentioned last week the transfers had him a little nervous but in the end he is staying put. Elder Gandolph thought Winters would stay and he would go. Winters kind of thought he would go and I am not sure about Gandolph. The good news is they are both staying in the Provo mission and together for another transfer. Yipee!!

I am posting more of his letter this week as you can feel his love and excitement. Enjoy!


Hey Everyone!

So I have officially been out serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints longer than I ever have before in my life! haha That is kind of weird. It definitely feels like I have been out a lot longer than a month. We have just had so much excitement in the area the past week. Let me tell you about it...

So first off Transfer calls were last night... and we didn’t get a call... so transfer calls were supposed to come this morning... and we didn’t get a call... so at about 10 we called in this morning and asked and the AP's told us that both Elder Gandolph and I will be staying in Payson. So the whole transfer call night was a bit anti-climatic. But HEY! I'm staying in the Provo UT mission and not the ST George mission! That was exciting to hear! And I am pretty excited about staying in the area! I have become quite attached to the Payson area and people here are quite fond of Elder Gandolph and me as well. We seriously have a Ward Mission Leader and his family in denial that either of us was leaving. Their name is the Jacobsons’. I think I told you a bit about them over the phone but they are a younger couple with the cutest and most awesome kids.


The wife is also very good at making desserts which has been awesome as well! I got her home made Hot Fudge recipe because it is the bomb!



So as for mission stuff we had three baptisms this week! The 9 year old twins Brittney and Brianne Carter got baptized!

And this 11 year old kid Caleb Sands who I actually made the initial contact with got baptized!(remember Caleb is the young man that wanted to learn the sleeper hold in exchange for the first discussion)

I was so happy for all of them! I gave a talk at Caleb's baptism about the Holy Ghost and I gave the closing prayer at the twins Baptism! It was awesome I got a little choked up during each of the baptisms just because I know all these kids are going to grow up to be awesome members of the church! I seriously love them to death! I just want the best for them and am so happy that they were willing to choose the right and be baptized!

Side story... We had dinner this week with an older Dutch couple. They are the ones who fill the font for each of our baptisms. They made us Dutch food which included string beans with white beans in them, boiled carrots with ginger and potatoes and this chicken dish. O yeah, did you know in Holland it is impolite to drink anything while you eat? You have to wait till your plate is cleared then wash it all down with your beverage afterwards.

Anyways, I gave 2 more talks this week! They were pretty good and one of them I spoke for 25 minutes without any notes! The spirit is awesome! This week should be pretty awesome too! We're praying that our investigator Chris (the one who reminds me of Alan) might follow through with his baptismal date this Saturday but we still have to make sure that he gave up smoking... so we'll see. (Chris is a husband and father. His family were baptized a few months ago. Chris has had a challenge giving up tabacco. We could all include Chris in our prayers. It would be amazing to have this family countiue on in their journey to becoming a forever family.)

Anyways it sounds like you guys had a pretty awesome week! I really wish I could have been there for Donovan’s talk! (Donovan is Elder Winters cousin and recently returned from his mission in Portugal. He has only a slight accent but can speak Portugese beautifully. He had amazing stories and as he shared what he learned on his mission it was clear he had been attending the Lord's prep school. He graduated with honors.) I bet it was awesome! Does he have an accent? He and Paul had better be planning on another Awesome packed Saturday of Fun when I get home! But that’s a long ways away... So I wouldn’t worry about it too much right now.

Love Always,

Elder Winters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Utah Provo Mission Map

Utah Provo Mission Map
From Wyomings boarder to the four corners and into Colorado and Arizona there is work to do.

A little history of the UTAH, PROVO MISSION

In the late 1970's there was only one mission in Utah. As the work grew the mission was divided into areas to cover the North and South of the state. On January 1, 1989 the Utah, Provo mission was formed from a division of the Salt Lake City North and South missions. President Magnusson was called to open the mission. Today President Neil Pitts serves as President.


The area the mission currently covers was for the most part in the former Utah, Salt Lake City South Mission. During the time President Humphreys lead the mission, it was expanded to include Blanding, Monticello and Montezuma Creek. At this point the mission area took in all of Utah south of the Uintah Mountians.


With the creation of the Utah Salt Lake City South Mission the northern area of the mission was altered slightly. In addition Panaca and Mesquite Nevada were moved to the Nevada, Las Vegas Mission.


On July 1, 2010 the Utah Provo Mission was divided again. In this split the Utah, St George Mission was created. There are a large number on non-members that live in the St. George area and more are moving in. As you can see from the map below the Utah, Provo Mission will cover a realtively small area but there will still be much work to do.

Followers